Monday, August 16, 2021

The Little Things That Make You Wonder

 I have been for ages looking for the marriage certificate for Molly and John. I literally clawed my way through marriage records in the state of Pennsylvania with zero success. Today I decided to take another crack at it but neglected to put the state in for my search and to my surprise popped up a marriage certificate. Then it got seriously weird. I've always known that John was substantially older than Molly. They were married 6 days after her 16th birthday in 1899. That wasn't the surprise though. The surprise was where they were married and what was on the certificate. They got married in Kentucky. Yes, I said Kentucky. Newport Kentucky to be exact which is a suburb of Cincinatti, Ohio. The license gives Molly's age as 21, not 16. Her mother was not a witness nor was her father suggesting they may not have known. Kentucky law allowed for 16-year-olds to marry but only with parental approval. Bring on the surprises I say. We need more. Here's a copy.



No comments:

Post a Comment